Days 6-8 - The Rest of Washington, Florence OR and Chico
Our third day in Seattle we walked around Pike Place then took the Monorail over to the space needle. After seeing that it cost almost $20 a person to go to the top, and it being too early for lunch (they comp your ride up if you buy lunch. Although the meals on average are over $20 anyways...), we decided that we had already gotten an incredible view of the city from the ship so there was no need to spend the money. We walked around the museums that surround the space needle and hopped on the monorail back so we could go to the aquarium. It is the 50th Anniversary of the Worlds Fair in Seattle and they are putting in some really neat stuff that I am bummed wasn't open yet. Most importantly is the Dale Chihuly Forest! He is the amazing blown glass artist that did the ceiling in the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Hopefully it will be there next time we go :)
We grabbed a yummy seafood lunch on one of the piers on our way to the Aquarium. I really need to eat seafood more at home. It was octopus week and the place was packed full of school field trips. Luckily we got there around lunch time so we didn't have to fight off too many little munchkins to see the exhibits. I still can't get over how large the aquarium was and the amount of animals/fish they had in it! Kendall was in awe of everything. My favorite parts were actually getting so see a few different octopuses (they are normally hiding) and the otters :)
After we left the aquarium we decided to go back to Pike Place and see the flying fish again. We then made our way back to Pike Brewery so I could try these clams I read about on the menu. AMAZING. I don't think I've stopped thinking about them since. mmmmm clams... We were planning on heading out early in the morning so we decided to go back to the room, let Kendall actually take a real nap for the first time all trip and pack up our stuff. We ran out for a quick dinner then back to the room for some sleep.
Our third day in Seattle we walked around Pike Place then took the Monorail over to the space needle. After seeing that it cost almost $20 a person to go to the top, and it being too early for lunch (they comp your ride up if you buy lunch. Although the meals on average are over $20 anyways...), we decided that we had already gotten an incredible view of the city from the ship so there was no need to spend the money. We walked around the museums that surround the space needle and hopped on the monorail back so we could go to the aquarium. It is the 50th Anniversary of the Worlds Fair in Seattle and they are putting in some really neat stuff that I am bummed wasn't open yet. Most importantly is the Dale Chihuly Forest! He is the amazing blown glass artist that did the ceiling in the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Hopefully it will be there next time we go :)
We grabbed a yummy seafood lunch on one of the piers on our way to the Aquarium. I really need to eat seafood more at home. It was octopus week and the place was packed full of school field trips. Luckily we got there around lunch time so we didn't have to fight off too many little munchkins to see the exhibits. I still can't get over how large the aquarium was and the amount of animals/fish they had in it! Kendall was in awe of everything. My favorite parts were actually getting so see a few different octopuses (they are normally hiding) and the otters :)
After we left the aquarium we decided to go back to Pike Place and see the flying fish again. We then made our way back to Pike Brewery so I could try these clams I read about on the menu. AMAZING. I don't think I've stopped thinking about them since. mmmmm clams... We were planning on heading out early in the morning so we decided to go back to the room, let Kendall actually take a real nap for the first time all trip and pack up our stuff. We ran out for a quick dinner then back to the room for some sleep.
We hit the road and headed back into Oregon the next morning. We stopped to have lunch at Rogue (different location than before) then went to their production facility a few blocks away. We were tipped off that they were having a garage sale on their cases of beer so we couldn't pass that up. Man do I wish we took a picture of the truck after all these brewery stops! We literately had to pull Kendall up and over boxes to get her out of the car! Three cases of beer later we were back in the car heading to the Sealion Caves in Florence. We took a 215 foot elevator ride down into the cave and were greeted by hundreds of sealions. There were tons of babies and I loved watching them play with each other. There was no flash allowed in the cave so we didn't get too many good pictures. It was a neat experience but since we can see the sealions anytime we want at pier 39 I don't think we'll be going again. Since we didn't have anything else planned for the day we headed to our hotel. Unfortunately the one I booked was under construction (and we were NOT informed of this before hand) and the only room they had for us was way too noisy. It ended up being a good thing because the hotel we ended up staying at was totally awesome and right downtown. We had another yummy seafood dinner and called it a night.
That is hail on the road, not snow!
The next morning we started our drive back to California. It was really neat to see all the snow in the mountains that wasn't there when we drove through the first time. We stopped in Ashland for lunch at a, shock, brewery (Standing Stone). Then back in the truck and all the way to Chico. That leg of the trip definitely felt the longest! We checked into our hotel then headed to Sierra Nevada for a nice long relaxing dinner. We were planning on going back to the Brewery the next morning to take the tour but once we woke up we were ready to get home. We stopped at Granzella's for a sandwich (can't pass that place by!), swung by Mike's parents to pick up Hanna Bear and finally made it back home :) It was a truly amazing trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Where'd the snow come from?
Passed out puppy! The Dirksen's watched her for us while we were away and she got non stop exercise between all the walks and being chased around by the boys :)
No comments:
Post a Comment