Last weekend was Redwood City's Annual Blues Festival. It usually kicks of with the Friday night concert then Saturday continues onto a full day of blues bands, food, booths and other activities but this year they decided to make it a full weekend event, expanding it to Sunday as well. It was one of Mike and my only "free" weekends (other than babysitting 2 friends munchkins Friday night) and I was looking forward to enjoying the festival and relaxing. Yes, I just said "was"... Just over a week before the festival the guys got the grand idea to compete in the BBQ competition, which also took place both days. 12-8 on Saturday and 11-5 on Sunday. "We'll just do it ourselves! Just the guys!" they said. HA! Suuuuurrrreeee you will..... Cut to Saturday morning craziness of starving people lining up to get food before service was even started and Cary, 8+ months pregnant Jen and I running around with our heads chopped off to get food on plates. Good thing we love our husbands so much otherwise Cary and I would have been up in Napa at a all you can eat and drink Peach Festival while the guys shut down their booth in panic (you're welcome guys!).
Ok, so besides us girls not really wanting to spend our entire weekend on our feet and serving food, we really did have fun. We were the only amateur booth out there and did surprisingly well in judging and peoples choice. The guys smoked 150 pounds of dry rubbed tri-tip, grilled up 80 pounds of jerk chicken and 40 pounds of sausage as well as make countless trays of home made mac and cheese, grillin' beans and garlic bread. Oh yea, we also sold "Mexican" coke, sprite and fanta and frozen lemonade. It was a lot of work but everyone loved the food and the guys already talking about their plans for next year (SO NOT HAPPENING GUYS). We didn't end up making as much money as we had hoped after the downtown business group took a cut of our profits and everyone got reimbursed for all the food they bought, but it made us enough to pay for Salsafest! Mark it on your calenders folks! Capn' Mike's salsa is coming back better than ever on September 28th :) BE THERE! Thank goodness it's only a one day event!
We were so busy Saturday that I did not take any pictures... until this!
Gives new meaning to the word Redneck!
Lucas "I'm not as burnt as them!" Uhhh yes you are. And you're hyper-colored :)
People, wear sunscreen!!!
Day 2 - Twinsy's!
Day 2 was a much slower start and the guys were way more organized. Way more time for beer consumption and cigar smoking.
Our Booths! Actually, we ended up added another tent and had a mansion of food booth since the people across from us didn't show up for Sunday.
Hi Jen!
Cap'n Mike and his crew
Almost forgot Mike V! He was too busy working to join the pictures above.
The wives of these lucky guys ;)
Mike. Tri-tip slicer extraordinaire
Can you believe how amazing Jen in? 8+ months pregnant and busting her butt for 2 days straight! Man I Love that girl! (and I love Cary!)
Cary and our Sunday recruit Victoria, handing out samples
mmm Mexican Coke
Dave also helped us quite a bit both Saturday and Sunday. Thanks Dave!
Lisa, Kevin and baby Aiden came to visit as well
My Cap'n <3 p="">
The gloves make the picture, don't you think?
Toward the very end of the day Lucas jumped on the Microphone to try and drum up more business. I think the most effective thing he did was announce we were doing "happy hour" prices at 5 (when the event ended) so we could sell the rest of our food. I think we made more cash from 5-6 then we did all day!
Awwww finally getting to sit after a long weekend
2 comments:
**Correction- The City of Redwood City did not make any money from the BBQ Competition....the Downtown Business Group was the organization that hosted the BBQ Competition and they were the ones that took 20% of our ticket sales plus a booth fee. Just wanted to defend RWC =)
Ah yes! Crap, I will revise!! Thanks :)
Post a Comment